This reading unit is the first of six units I have created. This is the first syllable type that a teacher would teach if they were teaching students who are beginning to learn to read. Closed syllables are CVC words. The definition of a closed syllable is one of the six types of syllables in reading.
This unit provides 158 word lists of the closed syllable type words. Also, a master list of all the words is included as a quick reference. The lists in this unit include words spelled using each vowel in conjunction with common phonograms. These lists of words will help students recognize the common patterns seen in closed syllables. Also, reading will become more manageable for students once they understand the different syllable types. These ready-made word lists can be used in the multiple ways:
• create your own reading and spelling activities
• for ABC order
• teach word families
• to complete word sorts
• develop more accurate and fluent readers
• read words for homework
• use for spelling lists
• quick reading assessments
• practice and re-teach reading skills
• supplement general education curriculum
• compare and contrast with other syllable types
• use at a word work station
• printed as a student booklet by clicking print, printer properties, and booklet
Students can self-assess themselves or others by coloring the correct smiley face as they read the list. Then at the bottom of each list, the student can write in the number of words they correctly read.
Note: This packet is strictly a packet of word lists. There are no games/activities included.