Online Tutoring for Reading
I am excited to offer online tutoring for reading that is easily accessible and affordable. Today’s technology makes it so convenient for tutoring to happen virtually. Online conferencing and the sharing of content via email works just as well as meeting in person. Since it’s web-based, travel is not a factor which makes working around a busy family schedule easier and less stressful!
I have a master’s degree in special education and 20 years of teaching experience. I love to teach reading! My reading data [over the last 5 years] is shown below and speaks for itself. Also, parents’ testimonies are provided below to give you an idea of how grateful parents felt about their child’s success while working with me. Please check out my “About Me” page to learn more about my teaching experience!
To give you a better idea of the how the process works read the frequently asked questions.
1, What ages do you tutor?
I tutor K-5 students.
2. How long are your sessions?
30 minutes for individuals and 40 minutes for a group session. It is difficult for a child to stay focused much longer than this and experience success.
3. How do you tutor?
Individual sessions are offered and group sessions are offered. If I tutor individually, the price is more. If you choose to have your child participate in a group of 4 or less, the price is less. Before asking for individual tutoring sessions, try a group session first. There are advantages to your child participating in a group. Students like to be together and learn from each other by participating together.
4. How do you know what reading skills to work on with my child?
First, I assess, and then from there I know the specific gaps that exist in your child’s reading skills. Second, I formulate a specific plan to fill in the gaps.
5. What reading skills do you work on with students?
Assessments will guide me to know which skills to work on with your child whether it is phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, accuracy, or various comprehension skills.
6. What assessments do you administer?
I check every student for letter knowledge i.d. and letter sound i.d. regardless of age. I assess sight word knowledge and blending nonsense words targeting all short vowels. I never take for granted that foundational skills are there.
7. What is the benefit to administering the assessments?
The scores of these assessments determine what skills I target in reading. I assess each student individually, and then decide whether they belong in the Emergent Reading Group or the Developing Reading Group.
8. What subjects do you tutor?
9. What does a reading lesson look like?
That totally depends if your child is at an Emergent Reading Level or a Developing Reading Level. For example, if your child is at an Emergent Reading level, we will drill sounds, blend letters, write dictated words/sentences to target specific spelling skills, and read controlled reading texts. My reading plan is based on teaching the 6 syllable types of reading. It is a very successful approach, and as I implement it with fidelity success naturally occurs.
10. What platform do you use to tutor?
Zoom (an online conferencing system) and personal email ( to send assignments and communicate). A computer or table is capable of running this system. It’s quick and easy to setup!
11. Will you tutor my child if they are receiving tutoring in reading by another teacher?
No, teachers have different philosophies to teaching reading. If your child is being tutored by another person, then reading can become confusing to a child when two philosophies are taught.
12. How do I begin the process?
Email me at email@example.com. Then I will respond to your email to let you know if I have availability. If I do have availability, then I will ask you for a time that we could meet on a Zoom meeting so we can get to know each other before the tutoring sessions begin.
13. What if the tutoring situation doesn’t work for me?
We simply end the sessions, and if you have paid for future sessions, I will refund your money. Likewise, the same applies for me. I am honest with you if I don’t think your child is making the progress they should be making with me.
14. What is the cost for each session and how do I pay?
We can discuss this once you email me. The price depends on how many reading sessions you would like during the week. I can assure you that the sessions are affordable.
15. Won’t my child catch up on their own?
No, most likely not. If you choose to do nothing, the gaps will widen and your child will struggle with more as time passes, and reading will become more difficult for them. Your child will lose confidence in his/her abilities that are really there. Your child will continue to believe that reading is a guessing game when in reality learning to read is just a matter of learning the 22 most common vowels sounds in a sequential order. The longer the difficulty of reading exist in a child’s life, the more a child believes that reading is hard and maybe believe s/he really can’t read.
16. Is tutoring my child really important?
Yes, tutoring is important to be administered by a teacher who implements quality material that is research based. If your child is struggling in reading, statistics prove that the sooner there is intervention, the sooner the gaps can be closed. Also, statistics show that for every student that does not learn to read proficiently by 3rd grade their risk becomes greater in remaining a struggling reader. Intervene quickly so that your child’s belief of thinking s/he can’t read will disappear. I can assure you for the most part that if your child is a regular education student with relative normal abilities, s/he can learn to read. Given the right strategies your child can perform up to his/her abilities. I’ve seen it happen over and over again. It’s just a matter of you taking the first step to begin lessening your child’s difficulties and setting him/her up for experiencing success.
Contact Me for Online Tutoring in Reading
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email provide the following information:
- child’s first name
- tell me if you are interested in individual sessions or group sessions
- reading level if you know
- Mrs. Trump, We have seen such improvement and confidence in A.’s reading and writing. Thank you for working with her and teaching her well! L.
- Dear Mrs. Trump, Our family deeply appreciates the care and attention that you provided for L. This year his reading has improved so much! R.
- To our dearest, sweetest Mrs. Trump, Your tireless, dedicated, heartfelt effort put toward our girl has been absolutely above and beyond anything that I could every have imagined. Without you, there is no way we would be where we are. I am finished this year with such a sense of peace where J. is concerned. She can read, and there is no denying that fact. She know it, and it no longer crosses her mind to tell anyone any different. She is so proud of herself. She has confidence. T.
- Mrs. Trump, I can’t think you enough for the successful year L. has had. To have come so far in one year, I can only think that her comfort and ease of learning with you made all the difference. You are a wonderful teacher. Thank you so much for the times and needed attention you gave us. Sincerely, B.
- Mrs. Trump, Thank you for all your help with my children. As an educator and single mom, I often found myself overwhelmed. Thank you for helping to fill in the gaps. You are much appreciated, and I hope you enjoy your day!! R.
- Mrs. Trump, Thank you for all of your help with J.’s reading. I’ve seen a huge difference in not only his reading, but also his confidence. C.
- Dear Mrs. Trump, Thank you for helping me be a good reader. You are a great teacher. Love, J.
- Mrs. Trump, Thank you for everything. M. has really improved this year. D.
- Mrs. Trump, Words cannot express our gratitude for the stride B. has made in reading while working with you. Your gift to help students is such a blessing to so many. Love, A.
- Mrs. Trump, We will remember forever and think of you. Thank you for all you’ve done for R. and H. You have lots of love and patience and helped them dearly. We love you! Love, The A.’s