This reading unit provides 49 word lists of the open syllable type words. Also, a master word list is included that can be used as a quick reference. An open syllable is one of the six types of syllables in reading. The lists in this unit include words spelled using each vowel in conjunction with one, two, or multi-syllable words. These lists of words will help students recognize the open syllable whether it is at a beginning, middle, or end of a word. Reading will become more manageable for students once they understand syllable types. These ready-made word lists can be used in the multiple ways:
• create your own reading and spelling activities
• for ABC order
• teach word families
• to complete word sorts
• develop more accurate and fluent readers
• read words for homework
• use for spelling lists
• quick reading assessments
• practice and re-teach reading skills
• supplement general education curriculum
• compare and contrast with other syllable types
• use at a word work station
• printed as a student booklet by clicking print, printer properties, and booklet
Students can self-assess themselves or others by coloring the correct smiley face as they read the list. Then at the bottom of each list, the student can write in the number of words they correctly read.
Note: This packet is strictly a packet of word lists. There are no games/activities included.